Last Updated on
Whether you are getting set to buy your first home or you are preparing to re-mortgage your home, it is important that you do so with the best deal available. You don’t need to be an expert in using a mortgage repayment calculator before you can find a great deal out there. Instead, you need to understand some of the steps that would help you towards having your home mortgaged at the best rates.
In order to avoid being ripped off, you need to take your time and compare mortgages from a few vendors. This needs to be done correctly, if you desire a good result. You should also understand that the type of mortgage you choose will go a long way to determine the rate you pay. Other factors that might impact on rates include your deposit, credit rating, and others. Listed below are some of the steps that would help you engage in successful and great comparison shopping. They are as follows:
- Understand what you want; Before you take the first step of comparing prices, you should first determine what you actually want. Are you settling for a fixed rate mortgage or do you intend on going for a tracker mortgage? You should understand that since a fixed rate offers more security, the price tends to be higher than a tracker mortgage. It is your decision to make but guidance is available.
- Compare related offers: In order to ensure that you get the best rates, whether you are proficient in using a mortgage payoff calculator or not, you should only compare related offers. Don’t compare the price of tracker mortgage from one vendor and go for fixed rate with another vendor. In doing this, you will only end up more confused and struggle to make an informed decision. Instead, make related comparisons. You should also know that even though your qualifications are not altered, different vendors will offer you different prices and terms. This is especially because they use varying business policies and models.
- Opt for a Mortgage Broker: Most times, we just have to leave certain things for the professionals, including comparing quotes for a mortgage. With a broker, who is certainly more versatile with utilizing a bank mortgage calculator, you might just be able to land a great deal with a reputable lender. This broker acts like a middleman between you and the lender and depending on what you want, you can be matched with a lender that has loan products that expressly fit your home mortgage needs.
- Go for Relevant Rates: One of the deciding factors when you are out there shopping for a residential mortgage is the amount you are able to deposit. This means that the rates you are offered when you are making a 30% deposit will definitely be better than the rates you will be offered when you are making a 10% or lesser deposit. When you understand this, you will surely not waste your time comparing quotes you will definitely not qualify for.
- Work out your expenses: When you are comparing quotes for a mortgage, don’t just think about the mortgage deposit. There are other expenses you should be paying attention to as you get ready to use that simple mortgage calculator. Some of these expenses include but are not limited to solicitor’s fees, moving costs, property survey fees, etc. With this, you should be able to work out the level of deposit you can afford to put down.
- Work out all costs related to the loan: In order to avoid any last minute surprises, you should take your time to work out every cost related to the mortgage loan. You want to know what you are getting into and as such, you should have a good knowledge of the monthly repayment amount, the interest rate, lender fees, and others.
- Wrap it up: After you have made your comparisons, it is time to lock up your rates and get things wrapped up for good. Having made your calculations with the mortgage calculator, the next step is requesting a written “rate lock” from the potential lender. This is a form of written agreement that stipulates the interest rate, the interest price, and period of time it covers. With this lock-in, you are fully protected from any form of rate increase while your application is being processed. While some lenders go ahead and charge fees for the lock-in, others do it without any additional costs. It varies from one lender to the other.
If you have been holding back from applying for a home mortgage as a result of not understanding how to go about a mortgage comparison, you must have learnt a few things that might just help you land a great mortgage deal. There is no need to rush, take your time to gather as much information as possible, especially on full cost, rates, and duration. Still not sure you can do this on your own? Let a reputable broker help you out.