You may have realised you need health insurance. Here are some strategies to make sure you get the best deal.
- Take the time to become familiar with the rules governing the health insurance plan you choose, and then follow those rules. The rules may be related to pre-authorisation or associated matters. If you ignore the rules related to your plan there is a chance that your coverage will not be forthcoming when you need it. Never make uneducated assumptions. Even if you are reluctant to expose your lack of understanding, speaking to your health insurance company representative could save you thousands of dollars.
- You may not require every coverage feature of your chosen health insurance plan. For example, mental health services or maternity features are specific to particular segments of society. Some health insurance companies can offer a policy for basic cover that may be more specific to your needs. Although you will be covered for fewer eventualities, it will be a less expensive health plan.
- Some health insurance plans contain spousal benefits. If you and your spouse are covered by health insurance, it’s worth checking the policies to determine your cover. If you are both covered by one of the policies, the other policy can be terminated, immediately cutting your health insurance premiums in half.
- If you are familiar with your health insurance plan you will be better prepared in case of emergency. Certain hospitals and doctors may be included in your network, and by knowing who and where they are you will save time and money when the need arises. Keep this information where it can be readily retrieved.
- By cutting down expenses on medicines or drugs you will be doing your health insurance costs a favour. Methods can be as simple as requesting free samples from your doctor or using generic drugs. There are many reduced cost medications available. Investigate if you are eligible for programs that are available, especially if you are a low income earner.
- A simple method of becoming a desirable health insurance customer is to give up bad habits. For example, smokers pay higher premiums, and if you have given up for several years you will qualify for a better health insurance rate.
- Getting fit and healthy is a good idea. Obese people pay a higher health insurance premium than smokers, alcoholics and the elderly. Healthy people have greater energy and vitality, less stress, and often more money for enjoying life’s healthy pleasures.
Health insurance should be seen as a privilege rather than a burden, especially in a country like Australia where health services are designed to provide the very best of care and attention. The money spent on getting healthy and keeping healthy, along with the security good health coverage can offer, will mean that you can enjoy life without wondering just where and when an unfortunate occurrence or accident will derail your lifestyle.